Skip to content


July 27, 2015

How wonderful was it to set up with our Bundaberg friends as well as having Lesley & Erich find a spot to park as well. We are parked under cover which is rather good in this heat.
Yes I know there is a fire going but it gives the site “ambience’. Bruce is really enjoying the time here as he is out “on the farm” doing odd jobs as well as some tractor work for Jason. Thanks for keeping them out of our hair Jason!!.

We arrived here on the 18th about lunch time. The next day was a huge wash day, as well as starting to give the inside of the van a very good clean. Checked out inside all the cupboards to see what the Gibb road had deposited inside & was very surprised at how little dust we had souvinered.
Did not take long to vacuum & wash this huge home as well as the cupboards. While this was being done Mel’s washing machine was working overtime. this is one place in Australia that there is no shortage of water.
Lesley & Erich left early & did a day trip up to Wyndham.
Monday Mel took me into town for fruit & veges as we were totally out of both. Mel cooked a huge pot of home grown pumpkin soup, enough for the 6 of us- it was delicious. As usual Bruce had to have something different as he reckons pumpkins are not even good pig feed!
Tuesday 7am I rang up for haircut appointments for Lesley & myself & were lucky enough to get some the same day- what a relief to get rid of my mop as had not been cut since 9th April at home.
Tuesday afternoon Mel took Lesley, Erich & myself on a touristy thing. I also enjoyed this as when here in 2006 and we were camped out at the farm Bruce spent time on the tractor then as well.
A couple of photos from out tour.

The Ivanhoe Crossing which is now permanently closed due to the amount of water being released from the dam. The locals do a lot of fishing here even with the “big lizards”. After leaving here we did a tour of the local farms trying to find some roadside stalls.
Managed to get a papaya as well as carambola & bananas, dried papaya & dried banana.
Mel explained the mahogany & sandlewood situation to us. The sandlewood is sent down to Albany to be processed for beauty products among other items.

It is valued at $2,000 to $3,000/litre depending on the world market.
The Mahogany is exported to china for furniture. A couple of photos of logs ready for carting to Wyndham then loaded onto ships for China. This is being grown on a friend’s farm which is being leased to the growers.

As sandlewood is a parasite it needs 2 host trees to get it established & they are the Wild Hibiscus plus Jute.
The trees are a parasitic plant and require host trees next to them to provide extra water and nutrients by joining roots. However, after the sandalwood is harvested, the host trees will be useless, with new host trees being planted as new sandalwood is grown.

had seen this tree back at the De Grey river & wondered what it was called- now I know. It is a rather beautiful flower.

While out at the farm we drove around various blocks which are planted with Chick peas, sorghum, melons, pumpkins & they are in the process of being picked, with backpackers being the workers.

Driving around the blocks which are all surrounded with mahogany trees, planted about 2000. They give the farm a very tidy look, especially with the water channels alongside. The sunflower are just starting to flower so hopefully will be in bloom more before we leave here.

Sorghum being irrigated- this is for forage.

The chopper was at the farm flying very low over the sorghum to spread the pollen. Bruce’s photos of which he is rather proud. He used to take a lot of photos when we first met but only just starting again & using his phone. I have to put them onto the computer ASAP. These photos were taken 27th but inserted into here to follow my farm photos.

Next stop was up to Anzac Hill which looks towards the overflow wall of the diversion dam at Lake Kununurra. Mel stood om top of the vehicle to take this photo for me as the trees almost hide the dam wall now.

The only Boab trees with foliage still attached are ones in town where they are getting water from irrigation, eg caravan parks & the town centre.

Time to head back for a cuppa & maybe go up to the lookout in the Mirima NP (referred to as the mini Bungles) just behind where we are camped. About 4pm , Lesley not with us, we 3 decided it was cool enough to go for the walk. There are now steps with many handrails up this walk which were not there in 2006. Also boardwalks.
Mel’s photo of Erich & I on the way down.

We did not wait for full sunset as there was no clouds to enhance the effect.

The next day we had to say goodbye to Lesley & Erich as they continued on their way eastward. Friday I washed windows, screens & curtains as well as seat covers & the van eventually lost its “dusty”smell. Caught up with photos & generally had a lazy day, as we have been busy everyday!
Saturday Mel & I went into the markets for a look as well as fruit & veges.
Sunday we headed out to Jason’s as he had offered to take us cruising up the Ord for the day. Packed a few things for a cuppa & morning tea on the boat & off we set.
What a relaxing day. Jsaon’s 2 daughters, Jason, Rocky, Bruce & myself as Mel had gone to golf.

These couples would have hired these canoes up at Lake Argyle, with camping gear on board, & paddled/rowed all the way down the river- do not know how long it would have taken them but they had sleeping bags.
Not long after we left Jason showed us where there is usually a small rock wallaby & he soon found it perched up the cliff.

We were continually on the lookout for fresh water crocs along the way & they were very easy to see- just look for the slide marks on the banks or resting on top of a clump of weeds in the river.

The girls were hungry & wanter a swim so Jason stopped at what is apparently a popular spot. Nothing like a feed of home grown water melon! Two little rock wallabies in life jackets below.

Bruce taking it east under a Pandanus.
The pelican being thrown about by the waves from the boat, as Jason would see a croc & do a “U turn” to go back to where it was resting- we did a lot of those turns.
The reflections in the still water in front of us were so perfect- then again I love reflection photos.

Noticed these folk had stopped off at another popular beach for a swim.
Kiri, Jason’s wife, was waiting at their private jetty for us when we got back & she was soon on her skis! The girls decided it was time for a rest on the hammock, even though the youngest had had a sleep in the boat.

On the way back to the house there were these few Kimberley Shorthorn cattle. There were a couple of new born calves I had noticed on way to jetty but as camera was already in the boat never got a photo. They were hiding as we drove past going home. These are cattle which you would be careful of Lesley & Chris! Those horns are sharp. Not like the softies down at Carawine!

Just before the house there is a tiny waterhole with one Spoonbill, quite a few Burdekin geese & a few Ibis.

The mango farms along Packsaddle road are well looked after as you can see by how they are pruned for ease of picking the fruit.

Passed the turnoff to the Zebra gallery but never went in.

Got back to van in time for a “nanny nap” .
The men then had to go out to the farm to check the irrigation & at 4.30 Mel & I decided to head up to Kelly’s Nob for the sunset. Got up there just in time to a crowd of folk. This is a very short walk thank goodness.

Looked as though the sky was going to light up with red clouds but we were all disappointed as that did not happen.
Well that is our first week at Kununurra.


From → Uncategorized

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: